Thursday, November 8, 2012

"Cars are fun!"

A dear friend lent us her car while she's out of town for a few weeks. While I'm incredibly grateful and appreciative, I think Teagan's the one who's enjoying it most. While she's already been to a library storytime AND the park, she seemed to get the biggest kick out of sitting in the car after a particularly miserable trip to the grocery store.
I kept her in the car while I unloaded the groceries and when I came to retrieve her, she would not be retrieved - she was having too much fun exploring. Happy that she wasn't begging to watch TV, I entertained her for a while, disappearing around the car and popping up in a different place. The wind was miserable, so I ducked inside the car. 20 minutes later, we were still hanging out in a parked car in the driveway. I tried not to make eye contact with our neighbours - they already think we're weird. She was loving it, repeating over and over "Cars are fun!" - she hasn't said many sentences, but this was one. She climbed back and forth between the back and front and took a turn "driving" all the while pretending to honk the horn and saying "beep!" (I may be a bit liberal in my usage of the horn.) After a while she accidentally honked the horn and the look of surprise on her face was absolutely priceless. Almost as priceless as the face she made when she pulled the lever that collapses the seat forward into a < shape. She makes the cutest sandwich.
It was so much fun to watch her entertain herself for so long - longer than she plays with any of the toys that have been bought for her. All we need is another car! She was yelling, "Cars are fun!" and I was yelling, "I've got to get me one of these!" Apparently we need to get out more.
It reminded me that sometimes it's the simple things in life that get overlooked. It also reminded me that it might be a struggle to convince her to get buckled into her carseat the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment