I'm told that stubborn children are a blessing and I'm trying my best to look at Teagan that way. Not easy. Though lately, I've gotten a glimpse of what people mean when they say that it will pay off when she's older. We've been trying to teach her about modesty and that in order for shirts to be modest, they need to have sleeves. My dear, sweet, strongwilled little girl has taken this to the extreme and refuses to wear short sleeved T-shirts, claiming that the sleeves aren't long enough to be modest. We aren't even talking about capped sleeves. Legitimate, all away around the arm T-shirt sleeves and no amount of explaining can convince her that they are modest enough for her to wear. As frustrating as it is, it is refreshing to see that she will not be moved - on this issue, anyway.
I'm reminded of a scripture in Proverbs - Chapter 22:6 - "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."
How comforting. Teagan has renounced most of her dolls that don't have modest dresses and explains that there's only one thing that makes her sad about Sheriff Callie (a Disney Jr. show that features a feline sheriff) is that she doesn't have sleeves.
We are incredibly fortunate to receive gobs and gobs of gorgeous hand me downs from my sister-in-law who has a little girl three years older than Teagan and even taller and skinnier, so her clothes are perfect. I had thought that tank tops were okay for little girls while they were young, but this little woman will not be swayed. Even when the clothes come from her favourite cousin.
It's cut her wardrobe way down and makes mornings a little frustrating, but when it comes down to it, I'm trying to be grateful that my little girl is showing the potential to be set on the right path and not deviate from it when others try to convince her to stray. Even her mother. <sigh>
No comments:
Post a Comment