Sunday, November 2, 2014

The Big One.

If there's one thing I've learned as a parent (let's face it, I haven't learned much) it's that parenting cliches are cliches for a reason. This year has flown by. I still think of him as my baby (perhaps because he isn't walking and still has only two teeth) but the reality is that he will be going to nursery in 6 months. Yikes!
If I've learned two things, it's that people put entirely too much effort into children's birthday parties. Particularly one year olds. We tried to keep things simple, as we knew he'd be more excited about the packaging than the presents and gave him some essentials - like a booster chair that forces him to stay in one place for more than a few seconds (he may not be the one most grateful for that one) and a snowsuit (thanks, Grandma & Grandpa!) and threw in some fun things like a football (clearly he's obsessed), Weebles (I wanted them) and TMNT pajames (one guess who voted for those.) He enjoyed the leftover Halloween candy (as one is wont to do when one's birthday falls the following day), allowing him his first taste of peanut butter. And peanuts of the styrofoam variety as well. We're nothing if not thorough. No allergies there.
We tested the new booster (he's like Houdini in a high chair) and his manliness at the same time. Boy loves a chicken leg. Probably happier than if it had been an ice cream cone. He's his father's son.
The Golden Birthday is something I was introduced to in college, and as someone born on the 23rd of November, I could appreciate the extra fun. When your birthday is November 1st (yes, 3 of our 4 birthdays fall within a month of each other) you don't enjoy it quite so much. But I thought the family might get a kick out of Mason's Golden Birthday and grabbed some Reese's and Rolos. I was right. We had them over again (so many birthdays!) for cake and ice cream and they were sweet to make such a fuss of the birthday man. No - the birthday baby. I need this.
Grandma Richards made the perfect cake for the little man and he loved it.
Like I said, he loved it. Nothing cuter than a half naked, roly poly baby double fisting chocolate cake. Love him.
My dearest, darlingest Mace Face,

I cannot believe you've been in our lives for a year. It has both sailed and crawled - though crawling isn't really an accurate visual in your case because you bear crawl faster than I can run. Seriously, you beat me to the toilet nearly every time. You love playing in the toilet and don't take kindly to those who pull you out. Trust me, you'll look back and thank me. You love to be outside, and it's teaching me to appreciate the outdoors more. It's just a shame that we are looking at a very long winter for a very outdoorsy little man. You know you're adorable and use it to your advantage, climbing people's legs, flashing your dimple and beautiful blue eyes - and in the rare instant that doesn't work immediately, you scream at them. Persistence is what I like to call it. While you've done my head in a little this past year, your snuggles more than make up for it. You can be very cuddly if you want to, and it's been known to brighten people's day. You are a smart little man, and while I've been trying to teach you to sign, you will just say the word at me, making me feel foolish. You've got "all done" down pat and because you don't like to take the time to eat, tell us you're "all done" (both with sign language and out loud) before we've even buckled you in. If you have to eat, meat is your favourite thing and you've spit more veggies out at me in your short lifetime than any young man should. You're finally sleeping through the night and in that weird one nap isn't enough but two naps is too much phase that makes me want to weep - could you decide on one long one, please? We'll both be happier - I promise. I know a lot of mothers think their baby is the cutest one on the planet, but I have a lot of people backing me up when I tell you that you are. Which helps with the kicking and screaming and demanding attention at all times. We couldn't imagine our lives without you and are so grateful to have you on the team. I can't tell you how many times I have squeezed your chunky legs and squished your enormous cheeks so far, but I can tell you that it will never be enough and I'm worried that I'm going to become the mother that thinks no one is good enough for her son. I promise to try. Love you, Little Man!

Love,
Mummy

No comments:

Post a Comment