We weren't two hours into the day and I found myself misty-eyed. She's TWO! Two and, to this point, not incredibly aware of her surroundings. We've told her that her birthday's coming up soon and that didn't mean much, and we've tried teaching her that she'll be two years old, but she doesn't seem to take any notice. So while I was excited to celebrate her birthday, I didn't want to break my neck trying to make it memorable. We started off the day singing "Happy Birthday" instead of the usual "Good Morning" from Singing in the Rain. She surprised me by chanting "BOODAY! BOODAY!" over and over while I was singing. Then throughout the day she would sing "Happy Birthday" to herself at random. It seems she woke up today a big kid!
I had balloons waiting for her on the stairs and surrounded her with them while she watched one of her favourite Dora episodes so I could make chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast. We She inhaled them. I busted out a party hat and party horn for a wee photo shoot of my two year old. Once she figured out which end of the horn to blow in, she was having the time of her life. She wore the hat for a long time, pointing at it and saying "booday" every time, and sometimes shared it with me - "Mummy booday." We had a tickle fight with the party horn that reduced me to a sniveling mess of emotion. Then it was off to the park with her best buddy and lunch on the run.
I spent the bulk of her naptime making cupcakes and putting the finishing touches on her birthday video...all while watching Downton Abbey.
We arranged to Skype with my parents and sister in the evening so they could sing "Happy Birthday" and watch her blow out her candles. It was really sweet. I love seeing how much Teagan is loved by her grandparents, aunts and uncles. All went smoothly, and she enjoyed the singing and managed to blow out her candles after the third try. She didn't dig in like we thought she would, but once she got a taste of the icing, she sucked it all off. I convinced her to give me a kiss, which transferred a glob of frosting onto my nose. So naturally Teagan ate it right off my nose. Waste not, want not, my Dad said. We chatted with them for a while and showed off her new tricks - animal noises, "awesome" and the like.
Seeing as it went so well the first time, we thought we'd bring Brandon's parents in on the action as well and Skyped with them later on. To say things went less smoothly would be the understatement of the century. The candles frightened her half to death and she cried for the entirety of "Happy Birthday" and refused to blow them out herself. Even after her dad blew them out for her, she remained upset and clung to him, crying "Mummy, Mummy!" Poor little mess. Though, the presents seemed to ease whatever pain was caused by the second birthday cupcake.
Don't tell her we're having friends over for cake and ice cream on Saturday - she'll never get over it! Happy Birthday to Cap'n Teague. Love this little girl.


No comments:
Post a Comment