Saturday, October 25, 2014

Four the love of Teagan.

We made it. She's 4! I was told the terrible twos paled in comparison to threes, and boy was that a little too accurate. Against the odds, we're here - both looking forward to a better year. She's a sweet, smart, beautiful little girl with a stubborn streak, which makes telling her she's wrong or that there's a better way to do something, nigh impossible. But isn't my job to teach her? Could someone tell her that, because she's convinced she knows more than me.
She woke up and the first thing she yelled was that she still fit in her pajamas, even though she was 4 now. They are size 6, for the record. She's still my Amazon Girl, and gets mistaken for school age all the time. We had birthday cake pancakes: a Pinterest special, and nearly put us all in diabetic shock between the cake batter, sprinkles and glaze. They were a little sweet, but a fun birthday tradition.
People were very kind and she was the grateful recipient of a new play kitchen (I sold the last one out from under her when we moved) some Lalaloopsy Tinies (Buddy is so adorable playing these with her), a fun Minnie outfit, Barbies, Play-Doh and more. She loves everything, so she loved everything.
She was very excited for her birthday and we tried to rise to the occasion with the least amount of effort and money possible. Easy, inexpensive treats and decorations were key - as was a cake courtesy of the amazing Grandma Richards. Like every other 4 year old in the world, Teagan still loves Frozen when you ask her. She doesn't watch it much, but if you ask her, it's her favourite. So we asked her close to her birthday and not again because the answer might have changed. Pinterest delivered in the low-key treat department and I was able to make some fun themed snacks with ease and without expense. Throw some balloons up (and leave them there for her brother in exactly a week) and we were golden. And by golden, I mean silver and blue. We had cousins over for cake and ice cream and that was plenty for her.
She has always had the most kissable cheeks (until her brother came along to tie her) and so we've enjoyed doing just that for four years now. And we aren't ones to resist of flashback photo op.

My Little T,

You and I both know that the mother/daughter relationship is a complicated one. It's so easy for me to see myself in you (because you ARE me!) and focus on all of my insecurities and try to steer you to avoid developing similar ones. As much as I try to resist the urge to nitpick and push you in certain directions, I know that I do. You are so good for me. I love that you stand up for what you want (thought sometimes I do know best) and I hope that that fire and courage stay with you throughout your life. If your father and I can manage to steer you in the right direction now, I know that you'll stay on the path and get exactly where you need to go because no amount of coaxing or trickery can get you to do what you know to be wrong. Even if you think wearing matching socks is wrong. You have a style all your own and while I wish I could still dress you in the seemingly hundreds of darling outfits bequeathed to you by a very kind and well dressed cousin, I can't wait to see you in the morning and find out what you're wearing. Eye patches, skirts hiked up to your bust, leggings and socks - you are so unique in your fashion that it melts my heart. I love you so much and am grateful for your forgiving nature when I'm not as nice as I could be and you are the best snuggler in the world. You made me a mum and are trying to make me a better mum every day and I need to rise to the occasion. I'm so glad you joined our family and I love you more than words can say, my darling girl. Work with me this year, huh?

Love,
Mummy

No comments:

Post a Comment