Remember how I said that lightning should strike me if I ever complained about Teagan's sleeping habits? Well, that was then. This is now.
She's going through a phase, that happened to coincide with daylight savings time. She usually sleeps well past Brandon leaving for work at 7:15, but for a few weeks after the time change, she was up closer to 6. While that may not sound painfully early to you, when you're accustomed to her sleeping two more hours, it makes a big difference. Her only saving grace is that when Brandon would bring her to me in bed so he could shower, she would RUN to me, arms outstretched. She couldn't wait to hug me, and while I could have waited an hour or two more, I couldn't stay frustrated with her while she grinned her gap-toothed grin and squeeze me with all her might.
We're back to normal now, as far as mornings are concerned, but she seems to need a little extra love at night these days. She wakes up in the middle of the night, crying and calling for us and it's so unlike her that we always go in to see what's happening. Her problems are always solved by cuddling with one of us in the rocking chair for a few minutes, swaying back and forth, singing songs and stroking her hair. She usually falls asleep on me, which hasn't happened in ages and I relish the moments (for the most part). What is it about sleeping babies that just melts away any frustration or sadness? She looks so angelic and while I may feel differently at the time, in the morning I realize I would rather have cuddled her for 15 minutes than gotten 15 more minutes of sleep. So worth it.
Many a time, I think she's asleep and I lay her down in the crib and tiptoe out. She sighs "nigh night" and rolls over with her three binkies and sleeps through until morning. Since I was a kid, I always liked for "I love you" to be the last thing I say to my family at night...you know, just in case. My mum can attest that I would say it over and over again when I'd done something to upset her and wouldn't give in until she'd reciprocated. "You never know," I would always say...quickly followed by "I love you."
So I always tell Teagan that I love her, and she answers back with "Ya you. Nigh night."
"Night night. Love you."
"Ya you. Nigh night." Apparently the apple doesn't fall very far from the tree. It just rolls backward a little.
No comments:
Post a Comment