Wednesday, September 11, 2013

"I Missing My Daddy."

Teagan has had a real sweet streak lately and has moved me to tears on several occasions. Today, it was a comment about her daddy. We were colouring, quite happily, and having a rare moment of peaceful quiet. She drew a picture and told me it was a school bus. I said I thought it was great and that maybe it was missing something, like wheels. So, of her own accord, she drew 4 (didn't prompt her) circles underneath the body of the bus and showed it to me. So cute. Then, suddenly she set her marker down, let out an exaggerated sigh and stared down at the floor. 
"Are you okay, sweetheart?" I asked as she looked about as forlorn as a two year old can.
"No. I missing my Daddy." she told me, eyes still down.
"Oh, I miss him too, darling. He's at work, but he'll be home soon. Are you all right?"
"I missing my Daddy." Her little heart was broken and it broke mine to see her so downtrodden. So I suggested we call him, but he wasn't available. So I asked Teagan if she would like me to send her picture to Daddy so he could see it. She responded enthusiastically, so we texted him a picture of her picture. She looked even more miserable just before I took it, but it gives you an idea of just how much this little girl was missing her Daddy.
I asked if she would like me to draw a picture of our little family, if that would make her feel better. So I drew each of us (not well) and she insisted that I draw my earrings and Daddy's "mustaff". She even wanted me to hang our picture on the fridge next to hers, she thought it was that good. A proud moment for me, indeed.
She's been singing "A Happy Family" a lot lately and it always melts my heart. She sings it so sweetly and perfectly, there seems to be nothing closer to perfection. We sang it as our opening song for our meager attempt at Family Home Evening and she ate it up. She even said the prayer for us, which went surprisingly well. We dedicated our home...nearly two years late, but it felt nice to explain the prayer to her and have her understand that we were making our home a safe, holy and happy place to be. We played Dora Memory and it couldn't have gone better. Unless she actually understood that you only get to pick two tiles, regardless of whether it's a match or not. But she's getting better. She's actually really impressive when it comes to remembering where things are - I don't remember half the time. She was excited to be spending time as a family and even happier when we told her that ice cream was the treat. We may even try it again next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment